Bryan Robson Profile

Bryan Robson

Bry­an Rob­son, born Chester-le-Street, Eng­land, Jan­uary 11, 1957. Bry­an Rob­son had a re­mark­able suc­cess dur­ing his spell wi­th Man­chester Uni­ted and oc­cu­pies his very own po­s­i­tion in the his­tory of the club. A foot­balling in­sti­tu­tion, the mid­fielder also played 90 mat­ches for Eng­land un­der man­agers Ron Green­wood, Bob­by Rob­son, and Gra­ham Tay­lor dur­ing an in­ter­na­tion­al ca­reer span­ning el­ev­en years.

Bry­an Rob­son had tri­als at Burn­ley, Cov­entry City, Shef­field Wed­nesday, and New­castle Uni­ted be­fore he sig­ned as an ap­pren­tice wi­th West Brom­wich Al­bion in Septem­ber 1972. He made his fir­st te­am de­but for West Brom­wich in a 3-1 Sec­ond Di­vi­sion tri­umph over York City at Bootham Cres­cent on the 12th of April 1975 and help­ed The Bag­gies win pro­mo­tion to Di­vi­sion One in 1975-76. Un­for­tu­nately, he broke his left leg in a 4-2 win ag­ainst Spurs at The Haw­thorns on the 2nd of Oct­ober 1976, and he was side­lined for al­most three months. Af­ter re­turn­ing to the fir­st te­am, he sco­red his fir­st hat-trick for West Brom in a 4-0 tri­umph over Ips­wich To­wn at The Haw­thorns on the 16th of Mar­ch 1977, but then he broke his right ankle in a 2-0 de­feat at ho­me to Man­chester City on the 16th of the fol­low­ing month. Whi­le wi­th Al­bion, Robbo was an im­port­ant cog in the te­am that rea­ched the FA Cup Semi-Fi­nals in 1978, and fin­ished in third place in the top-flight ta­ble the fol­low­ing year. When West Brom gaf­fer Ron Atkin­son left to take over the reigns at Man­chester Uni­ted at the end of the 1980-81 sea­son, Rob­son fol­lowed The Haw­thorns boss to Old Traf­ford. He was giv­en his de­but for Uni­ted in a 1-0 Lea­gue Cup Sec­ond Ro­und Fir­st Leg de­feat to Tot­ten­ham Hot­spur at White Hart Lane on the 7th of Oct­ober 1981, and made his Fir­st Di­vi­sion de­but for the club in a 0-0 draw ag­ainst neigh­bouring rivals Man­chester City at Maine Road three days la­ter. His fir­st Di­vi­sion One goal for Man­chester Uni­ted ar­rived in a dom­in­at­ing 5-1 vic­tory over Sun­der­land at Roker Park on the 7th of the fol­low­ing month, and he im­me­di­ately es­tab­lished him­self in the fir­st te­am, ma­king 35 ap­pear­ances in all com­pet­i­tions in his fir­st cam­paign at Old Trafford.

Rob­son was a vi­tal mem­ber of the Man­chester Uni­ted te­am which bro­ught ho­me the FA Cup to Man­chester in 1983 af­ter out­classing new­ly re­leg­ated Brighton and Hove Al­bion 4-0 in the re­play at Wemb­ley Sta­dium where he sco­red a brace, and he also help­ed the club to their sixth FA Cup tri­umph when they de­feated al­ready crow­ned Fir­st Di­vi­sion Cham­pi­ons Ever­ton 1-0 in the fi­nal in 1985, wi­th North­ern Ire­land in­ter­na­tion­al Nor­man White­side hit­ting the win­ner in the 110th min­ute of the tussle. Af­ter Ron Atkin­son was han­ded the sack by the Man­chester Uni­ted board partly in­to the 1986-87 sea­son, Rob­son con­tin­ued to give out­stand­ing per­form­ances un­der the sound and strong lead­er­ship of new man­ager Al­ex Fer­guson who had ar­rived from Scot­tish FA Cup and Scot­tish Lea­gue Cup hold­ers Ab­er­deen. Con­sist­ently pos­sess­ing the ne­ces­sary com­pet­it­ive im­per­at­ive, the en­er­get­ic mid­fielder was an ad­mired and re­spec­ted lead­er among his peers who led his Man­chester Uni­ted team­mates to win two Pre­mier Lea­gue titles and three FA Cups, as well as the Euro­pean Cup Win­ners´ Cup. Ar­gu­ably, he played his best mat­ch for Uni­ted in the 3-0 Euro­pean Cup Win­ners’ Cup Quart­er Fi­nal Sec­ond Leg win ag­ainst Cesar Lu­is Menotti´s Bar­celona at Old Traf­ford on the 21st of Mar­ch of 1984 when he dom­in­ated mid­field and re­cor­ded two of the goals. Atkin­son’s Uni­ted had be­en de­feated by 2-0 by Barca in the fir­st leg at Nou Camp a fort­night earli­er, and few people tho­ught they would pro­gress to the semi-fi­nals of the com­pet­i­tion, but af­ter 22 min­utes of ac­tion Rob­son net­ted the fir­st goal of the ga­me as he head­ed ho­me a cor­ner by Ray Wil­kins, and then sco­red his sec­ond wi­th a clo­se ran­ge ef­fort in the 50th min­ute be­fore Frank Stapleton re­gistered the fi­nal goal shortly af­ter­wards to make it 3-2 on ag­greg­ate for the hosts.

An­oth­er mem­or­able ga­me was the con­tro­ver­sial and dra­mat­ic 3-3 draw wi­th Liver­pool at An­field on the 4th of April 1988 where he re­gistered a brace either si­de of the the break. Rob­son pro­vided Man­chester Uni­ted wi­th an early 1-0 ad­vant­age when he clin­ic­ally fin­ished off a counter-at­tack by slot­ting pa­st Liver­pool shot stop­per Bru­ce Grob­be­laar in the third min­ute, but goals from Pe­ter Beard­s­ley and Ga­ry Gil­lespie in the 38th and 41st min­utes turned the der­by mat­ch on it’s head. Ste­ve McMa­hon ad­ded a third goal for Liver­pool on 46 min­utes, and to make things even more dif­fi­cult for Man­chester Uni­ted Co­lin Gib­son was sent off by ref­er­ee John Key of Roth­er­ham on the hour ma­rk. But des­pite be­ing down to ten men, the vis­it­ors staged an amaz­ing come­back wi­th Rob­son re­du­cing the de­fi­cit in the 66th min­ute and el­ev­en min­utes la­ter Gor­don Stra­chan hit an equal­iser to make it 3-3. Rob­son was the cap­tain of Man­chester Uni­ted for more than a dec­ade and made a total of 461 fir­st-te­am ap­pear­ances for The Reds be­fore he joi­ned Middles­brough as a play­er-man­ager at the be­gin­ning of the 1994-95 cam­paign, tak­ing The Smog­gies to pro­mo­tion to the Pre­mier Lea­gue in his fir­st year in charge. He then had a short ma­na­geri­al stint at sec­ond tier club Brad­ford City be­fore he was offered the hot seat at for­mer em­ploy­ers West Brom­wich Al­bion in the middle of the 2004-05 term. Af­ter leav­ing the Black Coun­try si­de by mu­tu­al con­sent partly in­to the 2006-07 sea­son, he took the ma­na­geri­al helm at Cham­pi­on­ship out­fit Shef­field Uni­ted in the sum­mer of 2007. He re­turned to Man­chester Uni­ted to work as a club am­bas­sad­or the fol­low­ing year, how­ever, and la­ter spent two years as coach of the Thai­l­and na­tion­al team.

Rob­son ma­naged to ac­cu­mu­late 90 full caps for Eng­land and rep­res­en­ted his na­tive coun­try in the FIFA Wor­ld Cup in 1982, 1986, and 1990. Fol­low­ing a series of ex­cel­lent per­form­ances at club level, he was han­ded his in­ter­na­tion­al de­but for The Three Li­ons by for­mer West Ham Uni­ted su­premo Ron Green­wood in a 2-0 Euro­pean Cham­pi­on­ship Quali­fier vic­tory ag­ainst the Re­pub­lic of Ire­land at Wemb­ley Sta­dium on the 6th of Feb­ruary 1980, aged 23 years and 25 days. He re­gistered his fir­st goal for his home­land when he fou­nd the back of the net fol­low­ing 15 min­utes of play in a 2-1 Wor­ld Cup Quali­fier de­feat ag­ainst Nor­way at the Ull­evaal Sta­dium in Oslo on the 9th of Septem­ber 1981, and he net­ted one of the fast­est goals in Wor­ld Cup his­tory as he ham­mered ho­me af­ter just twenty-sev­en sec­onds of ac­tion in a 3-1 tri­umph over Fran­ce at the San Mames Sta­dium in Bil­bao on the 16th of June 1982. He was made cap­tain for the fir­st time in a 3-0 Euro­pean Cham­pi­on­ship Quali­fier win ag­ainst Greece at Kaf­tan­zoglio Sta­dium in Salonika on the 17th of Nov­ember the same year, and went on to skip­per the te­am 65 times. Bry­an Rob­son would make his fi­nal ap­pear­ance for his na­tion in a 1-0 Euro­pean Cham­pi­on­ship Quali­fier vic­tory over Tur­key at Wemb­ley on the 16th of Oct­ober 1991, aged 34 years and 276 days. Bry­an Rob­son Play­ing Ca­reer: West Brom­wich Al­bion, Man­chester Uni­ted, Middles­brough. Man­aging Ca­reer: Middles­brough, Brad­ford City, West Brom­wich Al­bion, Shef­field United.


Front Page