Dundee U 2 Manchester U 3

Ron Atkinson

Dun­dee Uni­ted 2 Man­chester Uni­ted 3, Tan­nadice Park, UEFA Cup Third Ro­und Sec­ond Leg Fix­ture, Dec­ember 12, 1984. Af­ter be­ing held to a 2-2 draw by Dun­dee Uni­ted in the fir­st leg at Old Traf­ford, Ron Atkinson’s te­am de­feated The Ter­rors 3-2 at Tan­nadice to pro­gress thro­ugh to the quart­er-fi­nals of the tour­na­ment where they would take on Videoton.

The Tay­siders had shocked Man­chester Uni­ted by earn­ing them­selves a 2-2 draw in the third ro­und fir­st leg in Man­chester and they also put in a good ef­fort at ho­me. Ma­rk Hug­hes gave Man­chester Uni­ted an early lead as he un­leashed a low shot from in­side the area pa­st Scot­land U21 goal­keeper Ham­ish Mc­Alpine and in­to the far bot­tom cor­ner of the net in the twelfth min­ute of play, on­ly for Dun­dee Uni­ted to equal­ise thro­ugh loc­al born stri­ker Dav­ie Dodds thir­teen min­utes la­ter. The Reds re­gained the ad­vant­age thanks to an own goal from Ga­ry Mc­Gin­nis two min­utes ahead of the break, but Dun­dee Uni­ted lev­elled the score for the sec­ond time when Paul Hegarty be­at away goal­tender Ga­ry Bai­ley wi­th a well pla­ced head­er five min­utes af­ter the re­start. Then, as the clock wound down, Ar­nold Muh­ren ul­ti­mately net­ted the win­ner for Man­chester Uni­ted as his shot from just out­side the box de­fec­ted in­to the back of the net wi­th fif­teen min­utes left of the clash. Dun­dee Uni­ted Te­am: Ham­ish Mc­Alpine, Dave Narey, Ga­ry Mc­Gin­nis, John Holt, Paul Hegarty, Rich­ard Gough, Mau­rice Mal­pas, Ea­mon Ban­non, Paul Stur­rock, Billy Kirk­wood, Dav­ie Dodds. Sub­sti­tute: Al­ex Tay­lor. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Ga­ry Bai­ley, Gor­don Mc­Queen, John Gid­man, Mi­chael Dux­bury, Ar­thur Al­bis­ton, Gor­don Stra­chan, Ar­nold Muh­ren, Remi Moses, Frank Stapleton, Bry­an Rob­son, Ma­rk Hug­hes. Sub­stitutes: No­ne.


Ron Atkinson Quickfacts

Ron Atkin­son took West Brom­wich Al­bion to the UEFA Cup Quart­er-Fi­nals in 1978-79.


Front Page