Liverpool 2 Manchester U 1

Gordon McQueen

Liver­pool 2 Man­chester Uni­ted 1. Wemb­ley Sta­dium, Eng­lish Foot­ball Lea­gue Cup Fi­nal, Mar­ch 26, 1983. Af­ter reach­ing the Lea­gue Cup Fi­nal at Wemb­ley for the fir­st time ever in their his­tory, Man­chester Uni­ted suc­cumbed to a hugely dis­ap­point­ing 2-1 loss at the hands of North West rivals Liverpool.

Man­chester Uni­ted had be­en in ex­cel­lent form on their road to Wemb­ley, beat­ing Bourne­mouth 4-2 on ag­greg­ate in ro­und sec­ond, trash­ing Brad­ford City 4-1 af­ter a re­play in ro­und three, over­com­ing South­ampton 2-0 in ro­und four, de­mol­ish­ing Not­ting­ham For­est 4-0 in the quart­er-fi­nals, and de­feat­ing Ar­senal 6-3 on ag­greg­ate in the semi-fi­nals. In front of ap­prox­im­ately 100,000 spec­tat­ors, Man­chester Uni­ted star­ted the bet­ter of the two te­ams and Ron Atkin­sons boys took an early ad­vant­age in the twelfth min­ute of the con­test thro­ugh North­ern Ire­land stri­ker Nor­man White­side who fired a shot from just in­side the eight­een-yard box which went pa­st Liver­pool and Re­pub­lic of Zi­m­b­ab­we goal­keeper Bru­ce Grobe­laar and in­to the bot­tom right cor­ner of the net. The Mer­sey­siders pressed hard for an equal­iser and they fi­nally ma­naged to level the score in the 75th min­ute of pro­ceed­ings when Alan Ken­nedy ham­mered a left-footed ef­fort bey­ond the reach of Ga­ry Bai­ley in the Man­chester Uni­ted goal. Wi­th the ga­me ap­proach­ing ex­tra-time, Grob­be­laar should have be­en sent off by ref­er­ee Ge­orge Court­ney af­ter flat­ten­ing Man­chester Uni­ted de­fender Gor­don Mc­Queen, but he some­how es­caped a red card. Not long in­to ex­tra-time, Liver­pool ev­entually had their win­ner af­ter 98 min­utes of play as ver­sat­ile mid­fielder Ron­nie Whelan ef­fort­lessly curled the ball pa­st Bai­ley and in­to the back of the net. Liver­pool Te­am: Bru­ce Grob­be­laar, Phil Neal, Alan Ken­nedy, Ma­rk Lawren­son, Ron­nie Whelan, Alan Han­sen, Ken­ny Dalg­lish, Sam­my Lee, Ian Rush, Craig John­ston, Graeme Soun­ess. Sub­sti­tute: Da­vid Fair­clough. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Ga­ry Bai­ley, Mi­ke Dux­bury, Ar­thur Al­bis­ton, Remi Moses, Kev­in Mor­an, Gor­don Mc­Queen, Ray Wil­kins, Ar­nold Muh­ren, Frank Stapleton, Nor­man White­side, Ste­ve Cop­pell. Sub­sti­tute: Lou Macari.


Manchester United Quickfacts

Man­chester Uni­ted, then ma­naged by Tom­my Doc­herty, rea­ched the Lea­gue Cup Semi-Fi­nals in the 1974-75 sea­son, on­ly to lose 3-2 on ag­greg­ate ag­ainst fel­low Sec­ond Di­vi­sion si­de Nor­wich City.


Man­chester Uni­ted Pre­vi­ous Ten Matches

1982-83 Sea­son:

Ips­wich To­wn 1 Man­chester Uni­ted 1

Ar­senal 2 Man­chester Uni­ted 4

Der­by Coun­ty 0 Man­chester Uni­ted 1

Man­chester Uni­ted 2 Ar­senal 1

Man­chester Uni­ted 1 Liver­pool 1

Sto­ke City 1 Man­chester Uni­ted 0

Man­chester City 1 Man­chester Uni­ted 2

Man­chester Uni­ted 1 Ever­ton 0

Man­chester Uni­ted 1 Brighton and Hove Al­bion 1

Man­chester Uni­ted 2 West Ham Uni­ted 1

Man­ager: Ron Atkinson

Front Page