Man United 2 Sunderland 2

Bryan Robson

Man­chester Uni­ted 2 Sun­der­land 2, Old Traf­ford, Eng­lish Foot­ball Lea­gue Fir­st Di­vi­sion, April 27, 1985. Bry­an Rob­son fired Man­chester Uni­ted in front in the sixth min­ute of the ac­tion, on­ly for Nick Pick­er­ing to equal­ise for Sun­der­land just ten min­utes la­ter in the ga­me. Fol­low­ing the re­sump­tion, Clive Walk­er gave The Roker­ites the lead wi­th nine­teen min­utes re­maining, but a late goal from Kev­in Mor­an res­cued a draw for the Old Traf­ford team.

Fol­low­ing a 0-0 Di­vi­sion One draw ag­ainst South­ampton at Old Traf­ford, Man­chester Uni­ted played hosts to Sun­der­land in their pen­ul­tim­ate ho­me fix­ture of the 1984-85 sea­son. The Reds es­tab­lished an early 1-0 lead as Three Li­ons in­ter­na­tion­al Bry­an Rob­son ham­mered an ac­cur­ate twenty-yard shot pa­st Roker Park net­mind­er Chris Turn­er and in­to the top left cor­ner of the goal on six min­utes. Sun­der­land, who were fight­ing for their Fir­st Di­vi­sion lives, ev­entually ma­naged to level the score thro­ugh Eng­land U21 mid­fielder Nick Pick­er­ing who un­leashed a low ef­fort which flew un­der the out­stretched left arm of ho­me shot stop­per Ga­ry Bai­ley and in­to the bot­tom right cor­ner of the net in the six­teenth min­ute of the clash. Wi­th the fir­st ha­lf ap­proach­ing its end, Man­chester Uni­ted were right­fully awar­ded a pen­alty af­ter Welsh in­ter­na­tion­al Ma­rk Hug­hes had be­en fouled by Sun­der­land de­fender Shaun El­li­ott in­side the eight­een-yard box some five min­utes ahead of the in­ter­val, but Nor­man Whiteside´s sub­sequent spot kick hit the foot of the up­right, whi­le Gor­don Strachan´s at­tempt from the re­bound was stopped by Turn­er. In the sec­ond ha­lf, Man­chester Uni­ted pro­duced sev­er­al de­cent scor­ing op­por­tun­it­ies and Re­pub­lic of Ire­land de­fender Kev­in Mor­an hit the post wi­th a head­er from a John Gid­man free kick in the 70th min­ute of the tussle. Then, ag­ainst the run of play, a low cross from Pick­er­ing fou­nd Clive Walk­er who power­ed an un­stoppable shot in­to the back of the net to make it 2-1 to the vis­it­ors on­ly a min­ute la­ter, but less than fif­teen min­utes from time a dan­ger­ous flag-kick from the right was met by Mor­an who­se fierce head­er went in­to the bot­tom left-hand cor­ner of the goal to make the fi­nal score 2-2. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Ga­ry Bai­ley, John Gid­man, Kev­in Mor­an, Paul Mc­Grath, Ar­thur Al­bis­ton, Jes­per Ol­sen, Bry­an Rob­son, Gor­don Stra­chan, Nor­man White­side, Alan Brazil, Ma­rk Hug­hes. Sub­sti­tute: Mi­ke Dux­bury. Sun­der­land Te­am: Chris Turn­er; Bar­ry Ven­ison, Nick Pick­er­ing, Ga­ry Ben­nett, Gor­don Chisholm, Shaun El­li­ott, Pe­ter Dan­iel, Ian Wal­lace, Da­vid Hodg­son, Stan Cum­mins, Clive Walk­er. Sub­sti­tute: How­ard Gayle.


Front Page