Manchester Utd 1 Soton 0

Denis Law

Man­chester Uni­ted 1 South­ampton 0, Vil­la Park, Eng­lish FA Cup Semi-Fi­nal, April 27, 1963. Af­ter de­feat­ing Third Di­vi­sion club Cov­entry City by three goals to one at High­field Road in the quart­er-fi­nals, Man­chester Uni­ted be­at Sec­ond Di­vi­sion si­de South­ampton by a goal to nil at Vil­la Park thro­ugh a clo­se ran­ge ef­fort by De­nis Law in the twenty-sec­ond minute. 

The Man­cuni­ans had pre­vi­ously won the FA Cup in 1908-09 and 1947-48, whi­le South­ampton had be­en fi­nal­ist in 1899-1900 and 1901-02. At Vil­la Park in Birm­ing­ham, Man­chester Uni­ted en­joyed sev­er­al de­cent scor­ing op­por­tun­it­ies to take the lead early in the fir­st frame, but The Reds failed to cap­it­al­ise on their chances. Uni­ted kept up the pres­sure as the ha­lf un­fol­ded and Matt Busby´s lads fi­nally went ahead twenty-two min­utes in­to the ga­me when De­nis Law con­ver­ted a well-de­livered cross by Re­pub­lic of Ire­land in­ter­na­tion­al Johnny Giles. The Scot­tish marks­man had the ball in the net two more times be­fore the ha­lf-time break, but bo­th goals were dis­al­lowed by the mat­ch of­fi­cial. The So­uth Coast out­fit wor­ked hard for an equal­iser dur­ing the sec­ond pe­riod of the con­test, on­ly to be denied by Man­chester Uni­ted shot stop­per Da­vid Gaskell on each and every oc­ca­sion. Wi­th the one-nil win over Saints, Uni­ted would now face fel­low Fir­st Di­vi­sion si­de Lei­cester City in the fi­nal. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Da­vid Gaskell, Noel Can­t­well, To­ny Dun­ne, Bill Foulk­es, Pad­dy Cre­rand, Johnny Giles, Nob­by Sti­les, Mau­rice Set­ters, Da­vid Herd, Bob­by Charl­ton, De­nis Law. Sub­stitutes: No­ne. South­ampton Te­am: Ron Reyn­olds, Stu­art Wil­li­ams, Tom­my Traynor, To­ny Knapp, Cliff Hux­ford, Ken Wimshurst, Ge­orge O’Bri­en, Da­vid Burn­side, Ge­orge Kirby, Terry Paine, John Syden­ham. Sub­stitutes: None.


Manchester United Quickfacts

Man­chester Uni­ted, then named New­ton Heath, be­at So­ton 3-1 in an FA Cup Sec­ond Ro­und Re­play at Bank Street on the 17th of Feb­ruary 1897, wi­th a Wil­lie Bry­ant brace and a goal by Joe Cassidy. 


Front Page