Manchester Utd 2 Leeds 1

Tony Currie And Sammy McIlroy

Man­chester Uni­ted 2 Leeds Uni­ted 1, Hills­bor­ough Sta­dium, Eng­lish FA Cup Semi-Fi­nal, April 23, 1977. Tom­my Docherty´s Man­chester Uni­ted made it to Wemb­ley for the sec­ond time in as many years by de­feat­ing fel­low Fir­st Di­vi­sion si­de Leeds Uni­ted 2-1 at Shef­field Wednesday´s Hillsborough. 

Tom­my Docherty´s Man­chester Uni­ted had elim­in­ated Walsall, Queens Park Ran­gers, South­ampton, and As­ton Vil­la to reach the semi-fi­nals of the FA Cup. Leeds Uni­ted, for their part, had dis­patched of Nor­wich City, Birm­ing­ham City, Man­chester City, and Wolver­hampton Wan­derers to get to the pen­ul­tim­ate ro­und of the com­pet­i­tion. A young vet­er­an at the age of twenty-two, North­ern Ire­land in­ter­na­tion­al Sam­my Mc­Ilroy stamped his au­thor­ity in mid­field through­out the semi-fi­nal en­counter at Hills­bor­ough in Shef­field and the strong run­ning play­maker was in­stru­ment­al in the well-earned and hard-fou­ght 2-1 win ag­ainst long­time rivals Leeds Uni­ted. Man­chester Uni­ted stormed in­to the lead when a Gor­don Hill cor­ner was back head­ed by Stew­art Hou­s­ton in­to the path of Jim­my Green­hoff who net­ted from clo­se ran­ge in the sixth min­ute and soon doubled their ad­vant­age as Ste­ve Cop­pell drove a mag­ni­fi­cent ha­lf-vol­ley pa­st Leeds shot stop­per Da­vid Stew­art and in­to the top left cor­ner of the net eight min­utes la­ter. The West York­shire club ma­naged to re­duce the de­fi­cit thro­ugh a pen­alty from Al­lan Clark in the 71st min­ute of the con­test, but Man­chester Uni­ted held out to se­cure the vic­tory. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Al­ex Step­ney, Jim­my Nich­oll, Stew­art Hou­s­ton, Bri­an Green­hoff, Mar­tin Bu­chan, Sam­my Mc­Ilroy, Ste­ve Cop­pell, Lou Ma­cari, Stu­art Pear­son, Jim­my Green­hoff, Gor­don Hill. Sub­stitutes: No­ne. Leeds Uni­ted Te­am: Da­vid Stew­art, Paul Reaney, Pe­ter Hamp­ton, Tre­vor Cherry, Gor­don Mc­Queen, Paul Made­ley, Al­lan Clarke, Frank Gray, Joe Jor­dan, To­ny Cur­rie, Ed­die Gray. Sub­sti­tute: Pe­ter Lorimer.


Manchester United

Man­chester Uni­ted lost 1-0 to Leeds Uni­ted in an FA Cup Semi-Fi­nal Re­play at City Gro­und on the 31st of Mar­ch 1965. The win­ning goal came in the 89th min­ute and was sco­red by Billy Bremner.


Front Page