Manchester U 4 West Ham 2

Norman Whiteside

Man­chester Uni­ted 4 West Ham Uni­ted 2, Old Traf­ford, Eng­lish FA Cup Quart­er-Fi­nal, Mar­ch 9, 1985. Man­chester Uni­ted earned them­selves a place in the FA Cup Semi-Fi­nals wi­th a dom­in­at­ing 4-2 vic­tory ag­ainst West Ham Uni­ted cour­tesy of a hat-trick by North­ern Ire­land play­er Nor­man White­side and a goal from Welsh in­ter­na­tion­al Ma­rk Hughes. 

Af­ter knock­ing out Lea­gue Di­vi­sion Three te­am AFC Bourne­mouth, Fir­st Di­vi­sion club Cov­entry City, and Sec­ond Di­vi­sion Two out­fit Black­burn Rov­ers in the pre­vi­ous rounds, Man­chester Uni­ted took on West Ham Uni­ted, who had dis­patched of Fourth Di­vi­sion si­de Port Vale, Lea­gue Di­vi­sion One Nor­wich City, and Sec­ond Di­vi­sion te­am Wim­bledon. Ma­rk Hug­hes opened the scor­ing for Man­chester Uni­ted as the pro­lif­ic for­ward pla­ced an ac­cur­ate shot in­to the bot­tom cor­ner wi­th his left foot from in­side the pen­alty area on 21 min­utes, on­ly for West Ham to equal­ise 15 min­utes la­ter when Graeme Hogg ma­naged to put a cross from Paul Al­len in­to his own net. But six min­utes be­fore the break, Nor­man White­side put the ho­me te­am ahead ag­ain wi­th a clo­se ran­ge head­er, and the same man net­ted his sec­ond goal of the day as he con­ver­ted a free-kick from Hogg in the 74th min­ute of the FA Cup Quart­er Fi­nal. And al­though Al­len re­duced the de­fi­cit for the East Lon­doners wi­th a good fin­ish ten min­utes af­ter­wards, Man­chester Uni­ted ex­ten­ded their ad­vant­age once more wi­th White­side scor­ing from the spot af­ter Gor­don Stra­chan had be­en bro­ught down in­side the 18-yard box wi­th just two min­utes left on the referee´s watch. Hail­ing from Bel­fast, Nor­man White­side was spot­ted by Man­chester United’s North­ern Ire­land scout, Bob Bish­op, and sig­ned wi­th the Old Traf­ford club as an ap­pren­tice on the 25th of May 1981. Af­ter be­ing giv­en his de­but by Ron Atkin­son in a 1-0 Fir­st Di­vi­sion win over Brighton and Hove Al­bion at Gold­stone Gro­und on the 24th of April 1982, two weeks be­fore his 17th birth­day, he went on to score 67 goals dur­ing 274 fir­st te­am ap­pear­ances be­fore he was trans­ferred to Ever­ton at the start of the 1989-90 sea­son. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Ga­ry Bai­ley, John Gid­man, Graeme Hogg, Mi­ke Dux­bury, Paul Mc­Grath, Ar­thur Al­bis­ton, Jes­per Ol­sen, Gor­don Stra­chan, Nor­man White­side, Ma­rk Hug­hes, Frank Stapleton. Sub­stitutes: No­ne. West Ham Uni­ted Te­am: Tom Mc­Al­ister, Ray Stew­art, Paul Brush, Ste­ve Walford, Alv­in Mar­tin, Neil Orr, Paul Al­len, Alan Dick­ens, Ge­off Pike, To­ny Cot­tee, Paul God­dard. Sub­sti­tute: Paul Hilton.


Front Page