Israel 1 England 2

Bryan Robson

Is­rael 1 Eng­land 2, In­ter­na­tion­al Friendly Mat­ch, Ramat Gan Sta­dium, Feb­ruary 26, 1986. The Three Li­ons came from be­ing a goal down to de­feat Is­rael by two goals to one in Tel Aviv. Eli Ohana han­ded the ho­me te­am the lead ag­ainst the flow of play early in the fir­st pe­riod be­fore Bry­an Rob­son sco­red a brace af­ter the re­start to cel­eb­rate his fiftieth cap.

Eng­land dom­in­ated early on, but struggled to find the tar­get, and in­stead it was Is­rael who went in­to the lead as a long ball rea­ched Beit­ar Jer­u­s­alem ace Eli Ohana who un­leashed a power­ful shot pa­st South­ampton goal­keeper Pe­ter Shilton and in­to the back of the net on sev­en min­utes. Man­chester United´s Bry­an Rob­son should have sco­red shortly af­ter­wards when he rose to meet a good cross from Ever­ton de­fender Ga­ry Stevens, on­ly for his head­er go high over the bar. Then, just a few mo­ments la­ter in the ga­me, a black dog ran onto the field at Ramat Gan Sta­dium, but play soon con­tin­ued. No more goals were sco­red in the fir­st pe­riod, tho­ugh, and the vis­it­ing si­de must have wondered how they went in­to ha­lf-time a goal down. How­ever, fol­low­ing the in­ter­val Rob­son fi­nally fou­nd the net as he beau­ti­fully vol­leyed ho­me a pass from fel­low mid­fielder Glenn Hoddle sev­en min­utes in­to the sec­ond ha­lf be­fore he hit the win­ner from pen­alty spot in the 84th min­ute of the tie af­ter Avi Co­hen had handled his goal-bound head­er. Is­rael Te­am: Eit­an Ahar­oni, Zahi Armeli, Av­raham Co­hen, Eph­raim Dav­idi, Mor­de­chai Motti Iwanir, Uri Malmili­an, Eli Ohana, Avi Ran, Menashe Shi­monov, Moshe Sinai, Ri­faat Turk. Sub­stitutes: Ronny Rosenth­al, Eli Co­hen, Moshe Alu. Eng­land Te­am: Pe­ter Shilton, Terry Butcher, Ken­ny Sansom, Ga­ry Stevens, Alv­in Mar­tin, Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle, Bry­an Rob­son, Kerry Dix­on, Ray Wil­kins, Pe­ter Beard­s­ley. Sub­stitutes: John Bar­nes, To­ny Wood­cock, Chris Woods.


Bryan Robson Quickfacts

Bry­an Rob­son made his full in­ter­na­tion­al de­but for Eng­land in a 2-0 Euro­pean Cham­pi­on­ship Quali­fier vic­tory over the Re­pub­lic of Ire­land at Wemb­ley Sta­dium on the 6th of Feb­ruary 1980.


Front Page