Sunderland 3 Man United 2

Bryan Robson

Sun­der­land 3 Man­chester Uni­ted 2, Roker Park, Eng­lish Foot­ball Lea­gue Fir­st Di­vi­sion, Nov­ember 24, 1984. Man­chester Uni­ted suf­fered an un­ex­pec­ted de­feat to Sun­der­land at Roker Park. Uni­ted were two goals up thanks to goals from Bry­an Rob­son and Ma­rk Hug­hes be­fore The Roker­ites turned the score ar­ound wi­th a hat-trick from Clive Walk­er.

Eng­land U21 goal­keeper Ga­ry Bai­ley let in three goals as Man­chester Uni­ted were edged out 3-2 by Sun­der­land in front of a bois­ter­ous ho­me crowd at the le­gendary Roker Park which had be­en de­signed by Scot­tish ar­chi­tect Archibald Leitch in the late 1890s. Uni­ted had beaten Luton To­wn 2-0 at Old Traf­ford in their pre­vi­ous Fir­st Di­vi­sion en­counter wi­th Nor­man White­side net­ting a sec­ond ha­lf brace for the title con­tenders, whilst Sun­der­land had lost 1-0 ag­ainst West Ham Uni­ted at Up­ton Park where To­ny Cot­tee had sco­red the win­ner for The Ham­mers sev­en min­utes in­to the sec­ond pe­riod. On a windy Sat­urday af­ter­noon in the North East, Bar­ry Ven­ison near­ly put The Roker­ites in­to an early lead when the twenty-year-old de­fender fired a fierce shot just a few in­ches over the cross­bar, whi­le White­side came clo­se to scor­ing for the vis­it­ors shortly af­ter­wards wi­th a clo­se ran­ge ef­fort which hit the wood­work. As the con­test pro­gressed, Man­chester Uni­ted ma­naged to break the de­fens­ive dead­lock thanks to Bry­an Rob­son who­se re­l­at­ively weak shot fou­nd its way pa­st Sun­der­land cus­todi­an Chris Turn­er and in­to bot­tom right-hand cor­ner of the net in the thir­teenth min­ute of the fix­ture, and on­ly two min­utes la­ter Ma­rk Hug­hes doubled the ad­vant­age for the vis­it­ing si­de when the Welsh­man ran onto a clev­er thro­ugh pass by Rob­son and clin­ic­ally pla­ced the ball in­to the bot­tom left cor­ner of the goal.

The Wearsiders hit back in­stantly, tho­ugh, when Clive Walk­er stormed thro­ugh the Man­chester Uni­ted de­fence be­fore the spring-heeled flank for­ward put the ball bey­ond the reach of Bai­ley to re­duce the de­fi­cit for the hosts a mere min­ute la­ter. Then, wi­th twenty min­utes of the ga­me gone, bo­th te­ams were dra­mat­ic­ally re­duced to ten men each as Hug­hes and Da­vid Hodg­son were bo­th han­ded their march­ing or­ders by the ref­er­ee af­ter a fight. Man­chester Uni­ted and Three Li­ons full back Mi­ke Dux­bury had the ball in the net mo­ments la­ter, but he was cor­rectly ruled out for off­side, and in­stead it was the ho­me out­fit who fou­nd the tar­get ag­ain as Walk­er net­ted his sec­ond goal of the tie wi­th a pen­alty kick af­ter pre­vi­ous Man­chester City de­fender Ga­ry Ben­nett had be­en bro­ught down by Bai­ley in the eight­een-yard area in the 42nd min­ute. And wi­th just one min­ute re­maining of the ac­tion packed fir­st ha­lf, Walk­er sco­red an­oth­er goal from the spot af­ter Uni­ted stop­per Gor­don Mc­Queen had fouled Sun­der­land mid­field play­maker Stan Cum­mins in the pen­alty box. Fol­low­ing the in­ter­mis­sion, Len Ashurst´s Roker men al­most had their fourth goal of the clash thro­ugh Cum­mins who saw his power­ful shot from over twenty yards out su­perbly par­ried away by Bai­ley early in the sec­ond ha­lf. Dur­ing the clos­ing sta­ges, Remi Moses had a great op­por­tun­ity to equal­ise for Man­chester Uni­ted, but his ef­fort was de­flec­ted in­to a cor­ner by Pe­ter Dan­iels and the mat­ch at Roker Park ended wi­th a 3-2 win for the Tyne and Wear club. Sun­der­land Te­am: Chris Turn­er, Bar­ry Ven­ison, Pe­ter Dan­iel, Ga­ry Ben­nett, Gor­don Chisholm, Ste­ve Berry, How­ard Gayle, Da­vid Hodg­son, Co­lin West, Stan Cum­mins, Clive Walk­er. Sub­stitutes: No­ne. Man­chester Uni­ted Te­am: Ga­ry Bai­ley, John Gid­man, Gor­don Mc­Queen, Billy Gar­ton, Mi­ke Dux­bury, Remi Moses, Jes­per Olsen, Bry­an Rob­son, Gor­don Stra­chan, Nor­man White­side, Ma­rk Hug­hes. Sub­sti­tute: Ar­nold Muh­ren.


Bryan Robson Quickfacts

Bry­an Rob­son made his com­pet­it­ive de­but for Man­chester Uni­ted in a 1–0 Lea­gue Cup Sec­ond Ro­und Fir­st Leg de­feat ag­ainst Tot­ten­ham Hot­spur at White Hart Lane on the 7th of Oct­ober 1981.


Front Page